Thursday, October 12, 2006

Eat Something, maybe?

I was once again checking over news stories, and spotted a photo of a Guy Laroche fashion show. Now while it may be true that Americans are the fattest group of people on this planet.
Image Hosted by ImageShack.usImage Hosted by ImageShack.us
Even our pets are fat!
Image Hosted by ImageShack.usImage Hosted by ImageShack.us
Maybe we don't walk enough, I know Lindsey is always getting on me about that..."Walk the dogs, walk the dogs, did you walk the dogs?" "Um, No." It's true, we could all probably use a little more health in our daily routines... but how in some peoples minds does this...
Image Hosted by ImageShack.usImage Hosted by ImageShack.us
become an image of health.
What happens to these people mentally, to look in the mirror and think, "I'm fat." It boggles me. What bothers me more is the fact that models like the one pictured above actually get hired to work a runway. What the hell was Guy Laroche thinking? Tell this woman, "NO!" Call her a cab and give her 4 bucks for a double quarter pounder meal from the McDee.
I mean for celebrities, it's probably all the dancing to the sounds of the bolivian marching band that makes 'em shed the weight. "Sniff, Snort...Let's skip dinner and just go to the bar."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is such an interesting juxtaposition in this country about how such a high percentage of women and girls have eating disorders, but that we are one of the fattest nations in the world. I read an article in People about Nicole Richie the other day and they talked about her lack of weight and how the media is concerned, but then said "When Richie started out on the Simple Life, she was slightly chubby at 125 lbs for her 5'2" frame." I'm sorry, 125 is not "chubby" and well on the lower spectrum for weight in her height category. No wonder she is all fucked up. Irony, anyone? Atleast she has the $$ to get help if needed, these poor girls who read publications like People and think that they must be fat if they said that about Nicole Richie and most lose the ridiculous amount of weight that she lost, don't have the resources to get help at a professional clinic a la Mary Kate (or was it Ashley? I can't remember).

I have found that sometimes class and income level is an explanation for these opposite health problems in our country. When I taught at that pricey camp in Washington state, it amazed me just how many of these girls (and a few boys) from rich families had developed eating disorders. We even had to send a few girls home that summer because it was so severe (Hello! Where were their parents??) and one, who I was especially close to, her parents wouldn't listen, so I had to call her high school guidance counselor to force her into therapy. Then, I did a volunteer reading program in one of the worst public schools in Tallahassee and a vast majority of the little kids were obese and ate Mickey D's three or four times a week because it is cheap and easy for their busy parents working hard at, often, minimum wage. I am all for things in moderation (I wish we had an In-And-Out Burger here in NYC), but why aren't these parents stepping up on both ends of the spectrum and watching out for their kids? We can't just blame the media and advertising. I agree that the models these days and many of the Hollywood actresses are way to thin and set bad examples (Nathan has a thing he calls "the hot dog club" with celebrities that we see in public who are too skinny. He says that we should drag them to the nearest NYC hot dog vendor and force feed them. Nicole Kidman and Joan Allen are two that I we have seen who come to mind.)

"Fashion looks good on thin models, but when you look at today's models you can not help but think there is something wrong. They are way too thin. It is only bones that stick out. Models have always been thin. But today, they are even thinner, which is unbelievable. I was one of the fattest when I started. Ever since I started having children, I can eat whatever I want. I eat chocolate almost every day and drink whole milk so that I don't lose any more (weight)."

- Claudia Schiffer

Anonymous said...

Those chicks are hot!!!!